Trumps Mixed Fruit Cake
In this Festive Season, try Trumps Mixed Fruit Cake, made with a variety of our high-quality ingredients.
Prep: 25 minutes | Cook: 2 hours 10 Mins | Serves: 15
- Put 1Kg mixed dried fruit, the zest and juice of 1 orange and 1 lemon, 150ml brandy or other alcohol, 250g softened butter and 200g light, soft brown sugar in a large pan set over a medium heat.
- Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 mins. Tip the fruit mixture into a large bowl and leave to cool for 30 mins.
- Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/ gas2. Line a deep 20cm cake tin with a double layer of baking parchment, then wrap a double layer of newspaper around the outside – tie with string to secure.
- Add 175g plain flour, 100g ground almonds, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp mixed spice, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, 100g flaked almonds, 4 large eggs and 1 tsp vanilla extract to the fruit mixture and stir well, making sure there are no pockets of flour.
- Tip into your prepared tin, level to the top with a spatula and baked in the centre of the oven for 2 hrs.
- Remove the cake from the oven, poke holes in it with a skewer and spoon over 2 tbsp of your chosen alcohol. Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin.
- To store, peel off the baking parchment, then wrap well in cling film. Feed the cake with 1-2 tbsp alcohol every fortnight, until you ice it.
Inspired by the BBC Good Food Classic Christmas Cake Recipe.